Sunday, March 9, 2014


Chapter Seven: The Response to Social Disintegration is To Trust in the Lord

7:1-7
...Woe is me! for I am as when they have gathered the summer fruits, as the grape gleanings of the vintage: there is no cluster to eat: my soul desired the first ripe fruit. The merciful man of the earth is missing: and there is no one upright among men: they all lie in wait for blood; they hunt each man his brother with a net. To complete the evil with their hands…the judge judges for a reward…The best of them is as a brier; the most upright as a thorn hedge: the day of thy watchmen, thy visitation, comes; now shall be their confusion. Do not believe in a friend, do not trust in a prince…For the son dishonours the father, the daughter rises up against her mother, the daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies are those of his own house. Therefore I will wait for the LORD; I will wait for the God of my saving health; my God will hear me.

When men and nations turn away from God society begins to disintegrate. Justice no longer prevails--only lawlessness. The leader of the nation takes matters into his own hands and does whatever he wants. Judges and representatives are easily bribed. Jesus spoke the words of verse 6 when He prophesied about the end of the age. We live in a time when we see all these things coming to pass. Micah looks to the Lord and says, “My God will hear me!”

7.8-20...Do not rejoice against me, O my enemy; for if I have fallen, I shall arise; if I sit in darkness, the LORD is my light. I will bear the indignation of the LORD because I have sinned against him, until he has judged my cause and executed my judgment; he will bring me forth to the light, and I shall behold his righteousness…my enemy shall see it, and shame shall cover her who said unto me, Where is the LORD thy God? my eyes shall behold her: now she shall be trodden down as the mire of the streets. In the day that thy walls shall be built unto thee, in that day shall the decree of thy slavery be far removed…the land with those that dwell therein shall be made desolate, for the fruit of their doings. God has chastised His loved ones and warns their enemies not to gloat!

Feed thy people with thy rod, the flock of thine heritage, which dwell only in the mountain, in the midst of Carmel; let them feed in Bashan and Gilead, as in the time of old…I will show you marvellous things as in the day when thou came out of Egypt. The Gentiles shall see and be ashamed at all thy mighty acts…They shall lick the dust like a serpent; as the serpents of the earth, they shall tremble in their holes; they shall be filled with fear of the LORD our God and shall also fear thee. We are called out of Egypt--out of the Babylonian system.

Who is a God like unto thee that pardons iniquity, and passes over the rebellion with the remnant of his heritage? He did not retain his anger for ever because he delights in mercy. He will turn again, he will have mercy on us; he will subdue our iniquities; and will cast all our sins into the depths of the sea…Thou wilt perform the truth…which thou hast sworn unto our fathers from the times of old.

These final verses confirm the relationship between God and His people is forever, that the Lord forgives, and will restore Israel (His people). These are millennial verses depicting the final prosperity of God’s people. When mankind yields the Lord will be quick to show mercy.

Even though the land will be made desolate due to rebellion our merciful God promises restoration and forgiveness. God says He will not be angry forever--He loves it when we repent so He can show mercy. He wants us to be holy and sanctified because He cannot tolerate sin. He has a great work for mankind in the Millennial Kingdom and beyond.

“Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard what God has prepared for them that love Him.” 1 Corinthians 2.9/Isaiah 64.4

There will be a new heaven and a new earth after one thousand years of millennial training. The universe will then be the focus of God’s eternal plan. This is what we are being prepared for.

No comments: